Cute little things to cheer me up
When you're having budget issues, well, I don't know about you, but I'm a comfort-seeking creature. If I have to tighten the belt and not buy anything much for a while except the strictly necessary items to live on, I get restless after a while. Longing. Even being in the city and not being able to get lunch or visit something feels sort of cruel.
I had been struggling all summer (my first Finnish summer) with daylight that lasts a long, long time. That means the sun rises around 3 AM, and it sort of sets at 11 PM. When I say sort of sets it means that there's never complete darkness, and if, for some reason, you haven't fallen asleep by 3 AM, the light will get so strong, you will have serious trouble falling asleep. (especially since we just moved in, and haven't bought any curtains & blinds yet).
And so, I went to the city to find a cheap sleeping mask. One thing you have to understand about Finland is that there aren't any 1 dollar stores, where you can buy various (bad quality) things. Everything is expensive. But I did find one gem of a store, which had surprisingly cheap items (and not bad quality either!), and I also picked up 2 other items from different places. The place is called Flying Tiger, and it's all over the world*.
Here's what I took home...
- Birch-scented candle for our bedroom (I wanted something natural and earthy), around 6 euros from a Finnish design store on Aleksanterinkatu in Helsinki)
- cute baby blue sleeping mask
- fun pop rocks candy (Nico went crazy after these, he was poppin' all day)
- Garam Masala spice, for when I'll make some Chicken tikka masala
- fun drinking jar, for iced coffees or teas and whatnot
- Blueberry Coffee (My favorite! with Moomins!) - you can find it online too here
The store was so creative, and so cheap, I promised myself I'd return when I get my next cash infusion.
On the list to buy: cute little spice jars, picnic basket, and a bunch of other nice stuff!
*disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with these stores. I'm simply stating my opinion about what I saw & got for myself. This is not a sponsored post.
What do you buy when you need a little pick-me-up?